Veterinary social work is a social work specialty that focuses on the human needs that may arise in veterinary medicine.
Understanding the significance of the human-animal bond is critical to veterinary medicine and at Mass Vet our social worker addresses the needs that may arise for both our clients and our staff members. The changing role of animals in our lives has allowed for the development of veterinary social work; our companions are family and our veterinary social worker fully acknowledges this. Our social worker is here to help support pet owners during the emotionally difficult situations that may arise. As pet owners, we may be presented with overwhelmingly complicated situations and our social worker is here to help guide you through these tough times with empathy and support.
Pet Loss Support Groups
We understand it is devastating to lose a companion and we offer group support through monthly Pet Loss Support Groups. The groups provide a safe and non-judgmental environment where bereaved owners can support each other following the loss of a pet. If you are interested in attending one of our groups, please reach out to Christina Malloy by email or phone 781-528-6802.
Social Work Services offered:
- Pet loss/grief support (including anticipatory grief)
- Caregiver support (support for those caring for pets with chronic needs)
- Support when receiving a new diagnosis/new treatment options
- Support during decision making
- Assessing quality of life
- End of life decision making
- Facilitating family discussions around patient care
Our social worker will also provide additional external resources on the following topics:
- Navigating pet loss with children
- Ways to memorialize our pets
- Euthanasia at home
- Hospice care for pets
- Coping with guilt after pet loss
- Pet loss books and hotlines
Learn more about Veterinary Social Work
Christina Malloy joined the PAWEDcast for a recent episode on the work she does, take a moment to learn a little more about her work at Mass Vet with both clients and our own employees.